brotha2Brotha

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Song du Jour

Heavy rotation on my iTunes: It's Alright, I Feel It
Artist: Nuyorican Soul

What is there about Jocelyn Brown that I don't love?

There's a power, stamina and energy to her voice that you rarely hear today. I'm lucky enough to have much of her music, from 80s anthems like Somebody Else's Guy to her newer collaboration with Cassius, I'm a Woman.

But one of the standout cuts of her catalog is the work she did with Nuyorican Soul, the hit It's Alright, I Feel It. The organ solo is soaring, her voice stratospheric and the lyrics so memorable.

Music is my life, it's kept me through
All of the changes
the world has put me through
It's Alright, I Feel It!

The feeling that you get, can change things
The power of the groove will always
see you through

It's Alright, I Feel It!


Whenever I hear this song, like all of today (lol), I'm reminded of the old Body and Soul in Tribeca. Danny Krivit and Joe Clausell used to pump this for up to 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon. The last time I was at the club, sometime before they closed around 9/11, I remember hearing it while I saw Yoko Ono on the dance floor. She was grooving, smiling and laughing with me and others, singing along, telling people, "Oh this, Jocelyn Brown. She's fabulous!"