brotha2Brotha

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

“Miss Roberts, We’re Ready for Your Close-up”

Julia Roberts, on the other hand, has a strategy. She knows how to make everyone fall in love with her. I am reminded of this I’m on the set of the Oprah show last week , when Julia asks me am I ready to start the interview.

No, I’m not on the show. Actually, this is after the show has taped. I’m working for a magazine show, field producing an interview with Ms. Roberts for a reporter. So I’m just prepping Julia on what we’re going to talk about, setting up the shoot, seeming important and busy.

I thought you were the reporter, she sez. “You look great.”

Wow. The pretty woman just gave me a compliment. I feel like a little kid, too embarrassed to say anything. But I return the favor, tell her I love the big tummy, and that my friends and I watch Steel Magnolias over and over. (That was gay, right? lol)

Backstory: I’ve never been a huge Julia Roberts fan. Well, not until she gave me a compliment the other day. No, really, I used to think she was over-rated, overacted, emoted . But the movie that changed my mind was Ocean’s Eleven.

Yes, we’re talking about the same movie. The Soderbergh love-fest with Brad Pitt and George Clooney, all the vibrant colors and Helmut Lang fashions. (I work in television, so I'm trained to notice all the important things.) But what I liked loved about the film was the ensemble cast. Pitt worked well with Clooney ... who had great chemistry with Julia (we're friends now) ... whose sparse dialogue with Andy Garcia was worthy of a Mamet film. Everyone hit their marks. It seemed like even Casey Affleck could read act.

Julia was great. Okay, she probably wouldn’t like to hear this (“I liked your part because it was so small—but meaty”), but I’m sure she’s not listening to me for career advice. I admired her control. But my fave: Runaway Bride. (As Grace Jones said in Boomerang, “Gay, gay, gay.”)

Speaking of Clooney-Pitt-Roberts et. al, I hear things are not going so well on the Ocean’s Twelve production. Apparently, Mrs. Michael Douglas gets the coveted “and” credit that Julia had in Eleven. We’ll talk about Ms. Zeta-Jones another day.