brotha2Brotha

Monday, March 07, 2005

The ExMen

Guess what? No scathing critiques of this or that television show, no rave reviews of models, or waxing on about musclecars or DJs. Here's something about me. Personally.

Right now, I'm sure everyone reading is like ... omg, not you. Admittedly, it's difficult for me to discuss personal details of my life; mostly, it's training from working many years in news, where good journalists rarely insert themselves into the story. Also, much of my day-to-life is minutiae; it does not make fabulous reading.

But there are a several story arcs that you will hear more of. The first involves the Ex. Let's make that Ex's.

On Friday, my new blogging buddy Alex at New York, One Gay Date at a Time wrote about his Ex-Factor. An hour after reading his post, my ex R calls. He's been calling regularly since a few months after the break-up. It's not you, it's me and you were so good to me. Yada yada yada.

But why are the conversations so delicious?

It's very much like an epiosde of The O.C. In one corner, Ex-BF "R"; in the other, Ex-BF "S". Both call regularly; the conversations are always long and flirty. What is the attraction, and why is it so strong? With both, no less.

Perhaps it's yearning for the familiar, like a comfortable sweater or well-worn boot. Or, maybe we're hoping to rectify what probably can't be undone.