brotha2Brotha

Thursday, December 02, 2004

“Hi, May I Help You? Today.”

INT – STARBUCKS – DAY
An early 20s PRINCESS is standing at the counter. Her jet black hair is bobbed and face shows minimal, tasteful makeup. Imagine a slimmer Monica Lewinsky—just not as pretty.

She wears leggings, camel-colored faux Ugg boots, and a fitting t-shirt. (Note: this is Chicago, where Uggs and other 2003 trends are just now becoming trendy.) In a nearby chair, we see her yoga mat and a very-faux Hermes BIRKIN bag. (Note: Ibid) Her BARRISTA is another 20-something woman, but our PRINCESS is trying to get the attention of the other barrista, a dreamy ABERCROMBIE MODEL type.

PRINCESS
Okay, so which do you prefer? The lemon bar or the gingerbread?

BARRISTA
I like both. But, the gingerbread is a holiday favorite. It will go great with your vanilla latte.

PRINCESS
Hmmm. I don’t know. (TO ABERCROMBIE WANNABE) Which do you prefer? The lemon bar or the gingerbread? Or something else?

The ABERCROMBIE WANNABE is busy stacking grande size cups. He doesn’t hear her.

BARRISTA
If you want something lighter, there are scones …

ROD is standing behind the PRINCESS. He clears his throat. She looks at him and frowns.

PRINCESS
That’s just it. I think I want something heavy. But, I just had pilates. Maybe I shouldn’t. (TO ABERCROMBIE WANNABE) What’s your favorite?

ABRCROMBIE WANNABE boy walks by, thousand watt smile.

ROD (to himself)
Is he bleaching? Getting the laser smile? Or is it those Crest strips?

ABRCROMBIE WANNABE (to PRINCESS)
Can I help you with a drink order?

BARRISTA
No, she wants to decide on a pastry.

PRINCESS (twisting her hair)
There are so many choices ….

ROD quickly looks at the pastry bar, then her waistline. He makes no judgment.

ABRCROMBIE WANNABE (vapid 100-watt smile)
They’re all great. Can I can help you with a drink order?

PRINCESS (twisting more hair)
That’s just it, I think I want them all but I know I need to make a decision …

ROD (Brooklyn accent thick)
Let’s decide. Today.

PRINCESS
Oh, I didn’t know there were others waiting.

ABRCROMBIE WANNABE (to PRINCESS)
Can I help you with a drink order?